Friday, December 17, 2010

Some holiday traditions to share

Sorry, I haven't posted in a couple of weeks. I have just finished my last order of doll clothes and now I can finally get to thinking about Christmas. I have yet to put up my tree or any other decorations but Jeff and is family is coming next week and I have to get ready. We're having the Schippers' Family Christmas Eve party at my house this year and the menu will consist of two of our family tradition recipes.

Oliebollen
1 pkg yeast, 1 tsp sugar, 3/4 c warm (110 degrees) Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and let stand in warm place for 30 minutes.

3 eggs beaten
2 c warm milk
3 tbsp light corn syrup
4 c flour
1 tbsp salt (yes, a whole tablespoon but you can reduce to 2 tsp)
1 cup raisins
1 c chopped apples ( I like to use granny smith)

Combine eggs, milk, corn syrup, raising, apples and yeast mixture in a large bowl. Add flour and salt. Mix well for 2-3 minutes. Test a spoonful of dough to see if it will fall into a "lump" from the spoon. If not, add more milk or flour. Let rise in a warm place for 2 hours.

Drop by teaspoons into 375 degree vegetable oil. Fry until light golden brown. Drain on paper towels then sprinkle immediately with powdered sugar while still warm.

This is a Dutch New Years tradition but in my family, it's our Christmas Eve tradition. I'm also including my mom's meatball soup. This seems to be a favorite of every person that tries it:

Oma's meatball soup
Fill up a stew pot about 2/3 full with water. Put in two envelopes of Lipton chicken soup mix with diced white chicken meat and about 7-10 chicken bouillon cubes. (You can substitute about half of the bouillon cubes if you use 1-2 boxes of chicken broth. Of course you would reduce the water by that much too). Bring to a boil. In the meantime, season 1 lb ground beef with salt, pepper, season all and about 1/2 tsp nutmeg. (nutmeg is very important). Mix well and shape into little 1 inch balls and drop into boiling soup. Sautee 1 small onion and two stalks of celery in butter and add that then add a package frozen sliced carrots, 1 pkg frozen brussel sprouts. Simmer for about 15 minutes then add about 4 crushed coils of vermicelli and simmer until the noodles are soft.

If I don't have the chance to post next week, I hope you all have a happy and safe Christmas!

4 comments:

The Brownings said...

I am counting down the days! Not for Christmas, per say, but for Oma's Meatball Soup! mmmmm MY FAVORITE!

Diana said...

It sounds good Terrie. I hope and pray that you have a wonderful and relaxing Holiday break. You deserve it! Merry Christmas to you and your family! Love Di ♥

Valerie said...

Oliebollen! Can't wait! I'm bringing some fruit for your chocolate fountain. Mmmmmmm....

Unknown said...

so you are having the party this year huh? Hope the weather holds up and everyone has a safe drive....it has been so wet down here. We are having major flooding....I will call you, wish I could be there....