Sunday, June 13, 2010

I was inspired by Diana. All her cleaning this week has inspired me do something abhout my deck. Although I still plan on pulling up this hideous green outdoor carpet that the dogs think is grass, Brent has informed me that I cannot give him anymore projects this year. He has to finish the projects that I gave him last year before starting anymore. That said, it didn't stop me from getting him to help me clean the deck. Our deck is 24 ft x 24 ft. It's on top of our garage and walks our from our kitchen. I had him clear off his tools and leftover wood from the interior projects that piled up there then I swept the carpet to get the big stuff off, then I vacuumed all over then I shampooed that nasty grass green carpet and washed off the vinyl siding. When people see my deck and the view we have, I hear all the time, "you have such an awesome deck, I bet you just love sitting out there" but honestly, we rarely ever sit out there. A big reason we don't is because I cannot stand the smell. As I mentioned before, the dogs thought the green carpet was grass so whenever they were too lazy to gown down the stairs to use the real grass, either because the stairs were icy or they were just too lazy, they, well, you know... thus, the need to shampoo that filth. I guess I should also mention that part of my inspiration to start my cleaning frenzy with the deck is because a few weeks ago, we bought some new patio furniture and then this week, we bought a hammock. I also ordered an outdoor 9x12 matt to set the furniture on. Now, we can actually use it.

Now that it's actually a space that we can live in, Brent said he wants to mount a TV on the wall (above the grill) and then he will sit out there all the time. Actually, I have dreamed about enclosing part of this with screens and windows so I can close it up in the winter or if it rains then put my work computer there so I can work with a view instead of in my basement. That probably won't happen any time soon but next year for sure, I am going to put tile out there, even if I have to do it myself.
Next cleaning project is the front room. My new furniture is coming around the 21st so I need to wash the blinds, paint the window trim and mop the floor. That's next weekend though!

4 comments:

Diana said...

Oh Geez Terrie, I had no idea that I could inspire someone to clean! How come it doesn't work on Kate?
Well she's been keeping her own room clean at least!
Your deck space is amazing! The hammock makes me think "Nap"! Did cleaning the carpet help? We ripped all of ours out of the house, it had been here for God knows how many years before we moved in and Ruby has a weak bladder. So much easier with the wood floors.
You need to go crazy with planters and flowers on that deck now, it looks wonderful, I want one!
Love Di ♥

Terrie said...

Hi Di, You read my mind. In the back of my mind, but not too far back there, I am planning on having Brent rig some way of attaching planter boxes to the railings. I have a few pots with tuberoses in them but they have not yet sprouted. Anxiously awaiting! Shampooing that carpet certainly helped but it's still not something I will walk on with my bare feet. Next year....

Jaime Lynne said...

Terrie. I am so glad you stopped by and left a comment. And I am especially glad to see that you blog. It will be fun to keep up with your family and get to know you better. Your blog is beautiful. I will be adding you to my blog roll as well!

We are sorry you couldn't make it to the funeral, but understand! Tell your family "Hello" from your cousins in Vegas!

Unknown said...

oh wow! I love the new furniture. Just tell Brent he can have a tv if you just pull up that smelly green carpet. doesn't is still smell? Ah those sweet children of yours.....NOT!