Sunday, November 1, 2009

Back to Holland

Friday May 21, 1999
Today we went to the cheese market in Alkmaar. There they have the silent bids between 2 or 3 vendores for the cheese. When the bidding is done, the runners put the cheese on the "boats" and strap them over their shoulders and run them to the hand carts. From there, they go to trucks for delivery to the stores. After I finished watching that, I watched a cobbler hand carve a wooden shoe. He did it from a block of wood to a shoe in less than 6 minutes. He knew I was video taping him and I think when he heard me say the time, he was a little dissappointed. Maybe that wasn't his fastest time but I was pretty impressed! As we were each doing our own thing while there, I headed off around the open market to look for some more souveniers. I bought a cute little hand painted silk screen and, oh yes, can't forget the poffertjes. Oh the butter and powdered sugar on top of the warm poffertjes, I can just taste them now (I think I will make some when I am done here.)
On the left, is the poffertjes pan I bought while in Holland. The one on the right is one that you can buy here in the states (Target, Walmart). It's called a pancake puff pan. Similar but deeper so you can fill them with jam or custard or whatever your imagination can concoct.

Anyway, after Alkmaar, we headed to Vollendam. This quaint little fishing village is now quite a tourist town. Here I purchased Kim's windmill and my mom and I got our picture taken together in the typical village costume. Something I will treasure forever!

5 comments:

Diana said...

Hi Terrie!
I cannot believe that the cobbler made that shoe in six minutes and that he looked disappointed about it! I wonder if they had splinters or if that included sanding!
I am curious about the poffertjes.
Are they like a donut and what is in the batter?
This sounds like something my family would like! And I really liked that photo, it's really nice the way it is all so traditional.
It looks very authentic and you and your mom looked as if you were having so much fun!
It really was a trip of a lifetime, you were very fortunate to be able to do this with the family. I can't wait to see more Terrie! Love Di

Jerelene said...

I loved this!! I would love to visit Holland...lucky you! I would love to see a picture of the dessert! It sounds yummy...I read that the Dutch love pancakes and pea soup...is this correct? are your desserts like pancakes?
Thanks for all the sweet comments..I'm hanging in there :)
Love to you....Jerelene

All Dolled Up Doll Clothes said...

Poffertjes are just like little tiny pancakes. The pan I got here is deeper so they are a bit puffier and can be filled. Here's the link to get them at Target.
http://www.target.com/s/192-3730463-8541568?_encoding=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&keywords=puff%20pancake%20pan&searchSize=30&ref=sr_bx%5F1%5F1&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=1038576&searchPage=1&searchRank=target104545
I will send pics as soon as I make some. I ran out of time on Sunday.

And Yes, Jerelene, the dutch do like pea soup, although I'm not a fan.

All Dolled Up Doll Clothes said...

Oh yeah, Di, the shoes were pretty smooth considering he ust used hand tools and no sanding. One day, I will figure out how to load the video that I took.

All Dolled Up Doll Clothes said...

Here's the link for the pan at walmart. More money, not sure why unless the one at Target doesn't come with the accessories.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10264352