Thursday, September 10, 2009

Burnin' Down the House

How long does it take to melt a half gallon container of honey that has crystalized? Now, I'm talking MELT the entire half gallon CONTAINER, contents and all?!

It takes approximately 2 hours. At least that's how long it took me to finally realize that it wasn't someone's dinner cooking. How could it be dinner cooking? My windows are all shut. I can't smell the neighbor's cooking from my basement and it's only 3pm. No one's cooking dinner this early. Where is that smell coming from? OH SHIT. The entire upstairs is filled with smoke, the kitchen, the bedrooms, everywhere upstairs. I made my way through the smoke to the stove and turned off the boiling honey and plastic. Grabbed a hot pad and took the pan outside to finish smoking and then opened all the windows. Boy, what a mess honey makes when it boils over. At least it disolves easily with water. My pan? Not so sure about that one. I haven't attempted to clean it yet but at least I got it all off my stove.

That white stuff in the pan is what's left of the plastic half gallon container

And it wasn't just this section of the stove. My entire stove was covered in honey. This is just where it got cooked on and was harder to clean.

So you're wondering what started all this? Well, I made a peanutbutter and honey sandwich for lunch today and because I am a thrifty shopper, I buy the giant container of honey from Costco and before I can use it all, it crystalizes. So, to make is pourable, I melt it down. I put the container in a pot of water and turned on the stove to LOW then went to my room to eat my sandwich and watch my soap. After that was over, I went back down to my office to work. Totally forgetting about the honey. The stupidest thing about all this is as I turned on the stove, I thought to myself, "Now, don't forget about this". Yeah, right.

5 comments:

Diana said...

That reminds me of the time I left a soda in the freezer and forgot it there. It exploded all over everything! And it was frozen all over everything!
I think your mess beat mine Terrie! It's a good thing that you didn't take a nap!
And whenever I tell myself not to forget something I do! So now I set timers , and when they go off I forget why !
What soap do you watch? I watch All My Children.
Love Di
P.S. I'm glad your o.k.

All Dolled Up Doll Clothes said...

HI Di, the frozen drink thing has happened multiple times at our house but since I'm not the one that puts the beer in the freezer, I'm not the one to clean it up when it does explode.

I've watched One Life to Live for as long as I can remember... watching it with my mom when I was a young girl. I think I have watched it from the very beginning.

Diana said...

Hi Terrie,
I used to watch, Ryans Hope, All My Children , One Life to Live and General Hospital. When I was preggers with my son almost 33 years ago! It was much to time consuming! So I now only watch AMC. And sometimes thats hard to keep up with!
Love Di

Burrell said...

Haha! It's the soaps that'll get you every time! Sorry to admit it, but I had a good laugh at your expense today. I hope you were at least able to get the smell out!

Unknown said...

baby sister! lololololol oh my goodness, YOUR NEW kitchen and stove and oh my goodness, so glad you didn't burn the house down! Dang honey!....