Monday, December 22, 2008

Ahhhh Pop


Comfort food anyone? As Brent was out snowblowing the driveway and walks Friday night, I was looking for something to cook for dinner. The minute I spotted the box of Quaker Oats in the cupboard, I just had to have some. I am not talking about the instant, microwave oatmeal. I am talking about the good old fashioned POP that my mom used to make. This is not just any old oatmeal. There is something very special about having it the way my mom made it. Not only does it bring back memories of when I was young, it's a genuine comfort food that fills you up and makes you feel better when you're feeling a little down or even feeling a little icky. Made with milk and somewhat runny, not sticky and gloppy like a lot of people make it; you HAVE to put it on a PLATE. You just don't eat it out of a bowl, that wouldn't be right. Putting it on a plate, and eating it from the outside edges in, allows you to eat it at a consistent temperature. The edges are cooler and you can start eating immediately and by the time you get to the center, it too has cooled enough to be able to gobble it up without burning your mouth.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

And don't forget the sugar sprinkled on top! I make this for breakfast a few times a week. Scott thinks I'm so wierd for putting it on a plate. He just doesn't understand. : )

The Brownings said...

No one understands!!! That's just how you do it! hehe I love all the memories you put on your blog mom-it's fun to think about times past (especially when they have to do with Oma).
MMMMM!!!