Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Preparing for the Feast

It's barely 8 am. I was awake at 4:15 (I always wake up at this time but usually stay in bed for a while). I got out of bed at 4:50. Showered, dressed, did hair and makeup (always do, every day!), had breakfast and was out the door to the grocery store by 6 am. After the shopping, I even cut up the bread so it can have more time to dry out for the stuffing. My motive of getting up so early? To beat the crowd of course. Last night as I was getting ready to fix dinner, I realized that we were out of spaghetti noodles. You can't have spaghatti without the noodles so Brent ran to the store for me. He mentioned how busy the store was and he was going to take off work early so he could go to the store to shop for our Thanksgiving dinner before it got too busy. When I woke up this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, I decided it would be better to go early. Even though I made a list, I still forgot to buy olives (yuk), cranberry sauce and eggs so Brent will still get to go to the store after work, after all.

We're going to be a small gathering this year. Just me and Brent, Kim, Shawn and the kids. Brent invited his friend from work since he is usually alone. I always tend to make too much but hopefully, everyone will be hungry.

The menu:
Crackers and cheese ball
Veggie tray
Turkey (of course)
Stuffing (homemade, not a box)
Corn, Green beans and brussel sprouts (Brussel sprouts are a tradition started by my mother and Thanksgiving dinner is not Thanksgiving dinner without them)
Cooked Apples (not my mother's recipe because she never wrote that down but mine taste almost as good)
Rolls (sorry, don't home make these because that's just too much work!)
Jello Salad ( Kim is going to attempt to make the orange jello my mom used to make)
Pumpkin Pie (no, Kim is bringing the pie and she doesn't bake anything herself. I told her to have Shawn bake the pumpkin dessert he made once before, hopefully she will).

That's it. That's enough I think.

On a totally different note:
I have the silliest kitty. He fits nicely into this little bed but when he stretches, he ends up in the funniest positions. This time, he stretched out his front paws and his body and layed his head down on the cold counter. I couldn't resist taking these pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um.....the orange jello dessert is MINE, thank you!!! Kimberly better not think that because she is doing it this one year (since I'll be in Idaho) that it will be hers from now on! Just back off okay!
Anyways-cute kitty!!

Unknown said...

That kitty is the cutest kitty I have ever seen. It has such a fun personality like it knows you want to take his picture, and he thinks, "oh I am sleepy, I think I will just lay here so that mama will find me and take my picure. lol too funny! and sooo cute!

Unknown said...

I can't believe you got up and went to the store that early! OH, MAN, I am going to post too and I forgot my cord to hook up my camera and pics....darn! sounds like a yummy menu. I hope mine turns out ok....I am having 17 people over! Never cooked for that many either...this will be an experience!