Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Story Continues

As I mentioned at the end of the the post "How it Started", Brent and I broke up every couple of months. I don't know why. I think it might have something to do with him needing to "find himself" or whatever you want to call it. He was a typical guy. Didn't share his "feelings". I think that only happens in movies, where a guy will actually tell a girl how he feels. There were a few occassions that he did though. The following was after a breakup that I thought was definately the end. My journal reads:
March 15th 1976 Chris and I went to Steve's house last night. (Chris was a friend of mine that I fixed up with Brent's friend Steve). Then we went to pick up Brent at his grandma's house. We went to Trolly Games. I was a bit uncomfortable being with him but I wanted to have fun. We weren't there as a couple, just at friends of Chris and Steve. The only problem was, Brent kept looking at me funny and everytime I asked him why, he said, "I'm not looking at you". He told me he'd called me the night before but I wasn't home.
March 17 1976 Brent called me tonight. Im so excited. He told me that the reason he kept looking at me when we were at Trolly Games was because he "just wanted to hold me". I asked him why he didn't and he said he thought maybe I would get mad or that I was being cold to him because I liked somebody else. SHOOT, there's nobody else! He kept telling me all these sweet things.
March 18, 1976 I talked to Brent again tonight. He makes me feel so good. He said he wished I was there with him.
March 21st, 1976 Brent came over last night. We are back together!
My final journal entry was April 29, 1976. A lot of things have happened with me and Brent. But last night I got fed up with not knowing if he still cares about me. The last time I saw him was on Easter (Apr 18th). He has only called me about 3 times in that time and in the 4 days he has had off since then, his mom would not let him come out. then he would go motorcycle riding with Steve even though he knew I would probably be able to come see him. It's OVER. He said he still wanted to see me and call me when he had the time.

I remember feeling so lost without Brent. I had great friends and even had a couple of guy friends that we'd hang out with. but because my girlfriends didn't have boyfriends and didn't understand, I had very lonely summers. Brent always seemed to get restless in the spring and by the time summer came, we'd be apart. I think he always thought that if we broke up for the summer, he could have his fun and know that I was all alone, not being in school to spark up any relationships with guys from school. All the guys in my neighborhood were just friends and Brent knew that.

August of 1977, I had my Senior pictures taken for school. I remember that Brent and I were not together at the time but of course, I was always looking for opportunities to start things back up. I put one of my pictures in a frame and went to his house without calling. It was a Saturday afternoon and he was home. I handed him the picture and after he looked at it for a minute or so, he said "who is this?" He was serious. He didn't know it was me. I said "It's me, who else would I give you a picture of?" He said "Wow, it doesn't look like you". UMMMM was that a compliment? This is the only picture of me that he still carries in his wallet today.

Things moved pretty quickly from that point. Although I didn't intend on really getting back together with him that quickly, it happened. My 18th birthday was a memorable one to say the least. Brent was supposed to come over for cake but he'd been in an accident the night before. I immediately left to go see if he was OK. He got in my car and we drove to Memory Grove. He said "I have something to tell you". The accident was his fault and he totaled his car. There were girls in the car with him and his friend. The second I heard that, I jumped up and ran to my car. I got in and started it up. He was pounding on my window and pleading for me not to leave. I opened it up and said "I'm pregnant".

I'm a true believer in "things happen for a reason" but I've always known that Brent was my destiny. We've been married for over 30 years now. It's not always been a bed of roses and some of the things we've been through would make many give up. Brent tells people that if it wasn't for me, his life probaly would have taken a much different course and most likely, not a good one. I can't even imagine my life without him. I love you Brent.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

You're gorgeous in your senior picture! (Even with the bad 70's hairdo.) ;) I only wish I looked that good in my senior picture!

The Brownings said...

You know.....I never knew any of this! Geez! Well, I'm glad it turned out the way it did-obviously! You did end up making some pretty cute kids :>

Burrell said...

*tear* Great story. And I agree with Val .I love that picture of you. And, yes, it's wonderful that you two are still together. You're both amazing.