Friday, February 19, 2010

No longer home

Earlier this week, I had to take a "trip" out of my city and travel a whopping 26 miles to Bountiful to do something for my job. I called this a "trip" because the city I live in is all inclusive. Everything you need is within 3 miles of my house. I rarely need to go outside my comfort zone.



Bountiful is the city that I used to live in and since I had to go there anyway, I decided to make a five minute detour and go see my old house. Although I only lived in this house for 4 years before I got married, it was still my "home" after I moved out. My dad designed and built this house. It was the first house in the the area and we lived with dirt roads for about a year, I think. I loved this house and it held so many memories for me.



As I drove up through the neighborhood, I had lots of flashbacks of my teenage years. Learning to drive my VW superbeetle on those hills. Walking to and from school and yes, I could tell my kids I walked uphill both ways, to and from school and it was at least a two mile walk each way too. I remember trying to ride my bike on these hills and finally deciding that walking was much easier and soon gave up bike riding. I remember walking back and forth up and down those hills to my friends houses, several times a day during the summer. I remember my friends, Michele, Chris and CoLene, and how important they were in my life.



Then I arrived at the house. I'll admit it, I got a bit teary eyed. It wasn't because of how the house looked. It didn't look that much different from when I lived there. I think it was because it made me think about my mom and dad. I think about them all the time and miss them dearly. Somehow, seeing the house again reminded me that it just wasn't "home" anymore.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Thanks for the memories. I remember being younger and all the good times we had as grandkids, playing at Oma and Opa's house. Oma and Opa's house will always be apart of my heart! Love you!

Burrell said...

That was a great house. I think the whole family would agree that they have at least one special memory of that home. *sigh* I'm glad you took a picture. I had almost forgotten what it looked like. (One of my favorite parts was the mirrored wall in the basement. *smile*)

Diana said...

It's fun seeing our old houses. But I know what you mean about it not being the same. They say you can never go home again. I know what they mean.
Love Di

The Brownings said...

I spent a lot of time in that home when I stayed there during the summers with Oma and Opa. I can't even begin to list everything that I loved about it but the thing I remember the most is that it was so warm and cozy and was always filled with extra bits of love. I will always remember my special time there :)

Penny said...

Mr. S and I went through the house about 5 years ago after I got my RE license- They still had the same carpet and the mirrored wall was still in tact! It was a trip down memory lane and we wanted to buy the house on the spot from the owner. When we got home we realized that all we really wanted to buy back were all the great memories. Thanks for memories and the picture- I miss them too.

Unknown said...

oh my gosh! that was so awesome Terrie! Yeah, what I loved most, was the deck. The HUGE deck. MOM LOVED THAT DECK. She said that was the thing she would miss most about leaving that house. The view was so spectacular. And spittin watermelon seeds off the deck on the 24th of July, was sooooo traditional! PENNY, I can't believe you didn't buy that house!