Sunday, November 29, 2009

Where has my weekend gone?

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We went my daughter's brother in law's house. My daughter volunteered me to bring brussel sprouts and cooked apples. Brussel Sprouts, you say? Well, yes, my mother always had brussel sprouts on Thanksgiving. Of course she also had the traditional corn and green beans and such but she loved brussel sprouts so she made them mostly for her and my dad so as it turns out, it has also become a tradition of mine when I cook dinner. My son in law told me that he never liked them until he ate mine. The only secret ingredient is nutmeg and plenty of butter. Another tradation for Thanksgiving is to make my mom's cooked apples. My mother always made them from the dried apples. I tried to do them from fresh one year but they just didn't taste the same so instead of changing the non existent recipe, I learned to just do what mom did. Unfortunately, since I only make these once a year, I never remember how many packages I need and I always end up making way too much. I came home with more than half a pot full.

Since I forgot to bring my camera, trust me when I say, the food was delicious, and the company was pleasant. My daughter's in laws don't feel like inlaws at all. We're lucky to be able to call them all "family".

I have been busier thann I ever expected with my doll clothes business. I have been getting multiple orders every day. I am a little concerned that I may not be able to keep up. I thought that for sure over my 4 day weekend, I would be able to complete all my existing orders and for the most part, I have. I did end up wasting about 4 hours on Friday though. I had made my list on Thursday evening for what I needed to purchase at the fabric store to complete the orders I had in the works. I got to the store at 7 am, pulled a cart and proceeded to gather the items on my list. Then I got the cut counter. I pulled my number and realized that I was over 100 numbers away from what they were on. As I waited for my turn, it became apparent that I would be there a while. Holy cow, there were women with carts of flannel and fleece. I was told the flannel was on sale for $1.50 per yard. I didn't ask about the fleece. Many women were leaving with shopping cars full of cut fabric, some even two carts full. No wonder, by the time I got home, it was 11:30. Had it not been for my coupon only being good until noon that day, I would have put my stuff back and gone another day.

The rest of the weekend has been spent sewing, sewing and more sewing. (Oh, and my Sunday Morning bowling league which I totally stink at lately). I have had to stop taking spepcial requests for orders. Making up a pattern is too time consuming and time is something that I am running short on. The only reason I am not sewing at this very moment is because I completed two special orders today and I need a break.

So, now I am going to watch Desperate Housewives then go to bed so I can get up at 5 and sew for a couple hours before I have to start my real paying job.

See you all next time :)

2 comments:

Diana said...

I LOVE BRUSSEL SPROUTS! Problem is no one else in my family does, so occasionally I buy a small package for myself, yes,lots of butter.
Glad your Thanksgiving went so well Terrie and that your business is doing so well to. But it is making me worry a little as you sound too busy. I hope that it's not too stressful for you.
The Fabric store you are talking about sounds like Joanns? I used to work there and it sounds exactly like that! I loved working there and then they closed the store here. But I hated working on black Friday, we didn't even get a break. So glad that you were able to see Desperate Housewives. I missed it. I just posted about it a few minutes ago.
Love Ya, Di

Unknown said...

hehehe oh sister, you are absolutely crazy! Hey I got the same deal at Wal-Mart on the flannel. Did it on Saturday night and still got some cute stuff to make 3 receiving blankets for baby girl Higgins. OH you can watch Desperate Housewives on the internet. The full version. I usually watch Brother and Sisters here at work cause Bob hates it! LOL Glad you had a great Thanksgiving. hugs...