Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Surprise

In a few of my postings, I mentioned that I was working on a special project for my dear sister, Linda. A week ago, she was in town and I was able to give her my surprise.

Since I am in the business of making doll clothes, she and I talked a bit about the different types of dolls that have come and gone. She mentioned to me (I could swear this is what she said but later learned I was wrong)that she always wanted a Revlon Doll. {History lesson: This doll was very popular in the mid to late 50's. The came in 10" and 22" sizes then later on, a smaller version called the "Little Miss Revlon" doll came out in a 10" size.} I decided that I love my sister so much that I wanted to surprise her with one of these Revlon Dolls. I searched on eBay and to my luck. found one that I could afford. I placed my bid and a day later, won the doll. She came, not in as good of shape as I had viewed on the site but with a little tlc, she'd be in great shape. I gave her a real good bath and washed and conditioned her hair. The biggest problem I had was that her face was very sticky. I did some research online and found that this can happen with the vinyl dolls of that era depending on how they are stored. I also found a solution for that stickiness. I purchased the magic solution and a few days later after receiving it in the mail, I was able to restore her face to almost new. The magic solution had slightly removed some of the coloring in her face but with a little artist chalk, the non smearing, acid free kind, I was able to put a little color into that beautiful lady's cheeks. She came with earings, panties and a dress that was rather ugly (not original to the doll) but I liked the style so I took it apart and used it as a pattern to make something in a more suitable fabric. I also purchased more patterns and was able to make three dresses, a slip and bra, and a teddy. I also purchased a couple extra pair of shoes. Since the earings that she came with were tarnished, I carefully removed those and packaged them for Linda and replaced them with beautiful pearl like earings and made a matching necklace to go with them. I didn't remember to get a photo of one of the dresses and didn't take photos of the under clothes but I did buy myself a doll as well and when I make the clothes for my doll, will post those. Linda, I hope you enjoy your doll as much as I enjoyed giving her to you. I love you lots!

1 comment:

Diana said...

Oh Terrie you are so talented! I can only imagine how surprised Linda was when she saw this beautiful Revlon Doll. Funny, when you mentioned Revlon Doll, it did sound familiar to me but then when I saw the photo I recognized the doll. I never had one though.
You did such a wonderful job on her and her clothes Terrie!
Love Di