Monday, May 18, 2009

Obsessions

I seem to obsessive compulsive to a degree. I collect things but one collection never gets too big.

For instance, for several years, I collected rubber stamps. When I finally decided to part with my collection and donate it to Primary Children's Hospital for their Arts and Crafts room, I gave them over 400 stamps.

Then, I started collecting scrapbook supplies. I rarely did anything with these supplies because it would always take me about 4 hours to do just one page and still, they never turned out like the picture in my head or the one I was copying it from. (I will give myself credit though because I did finish Jeff's scrapbook and he thinks it's pretty cool).

Then there's QVC. Yes, I am a QVC-aholic but with my most recent obsessions, I haven't been watching it much.

Most recently, I have been into dolls. Back in 1985 to 89, I made a few porcelain dolls but they were so expensive, I quickly gave that up. Now that I can afford it, I would never be able to paint the face on because of how badly I shake. Instead, I love to have things for my 18" dolls. The dolls like American Girl, Our Generation, Madam Alexander Girlz, etc. As you know, I have been trying to sell the clothes I make for this type of doll but as of yet, I have not sold anything. I have been saving all my receipts and am scared to add them up. I would have to sell a whole bunch of outfits to make up for the money I've spent but I love making these clothes. It's now become an obsession. I can't stay away from the fabric store. Even if I go to just buy thread or elastic, I end up spending at least $35 because I can't resist the adorable fabric I happened to spot as I was wandering through the store. To prove my point of obsession, I mistakenly searched online for the dolls that Target sells called "Our Generation". I just simply HAD to have another doll to show off at all the boutiques I plan on doing so you know what I found?
Yes, that's right, a new doll and a scooter. I had been bidding on a retired American Girl bike on eBay but couldn't justify paying between $35 and $55 for one of them. I got the scooter for $27. The doll came with other accessories including a violin, which I saw online for $18 all by itself. Call me crazy but I'm excited about that one.

Then, as I was browsing on eBay for the bike, I thought to myself, "Self, I wonder if they have Liddle Kiddles". Do you remember those. I used to collect them when I was a little girl between the ages of 7-10. I had a pretty good collection. There were Liddle Kiddles, Lucky Lockets, Skediddle Kiddles, Kologne Kiddles, Kola Kiddles and even Jewelry Kiddles. I had them all except any of the Storybook Kiddles. Those were too expensive and as much as I wanted them, I never got them. My best friend had them though. She had Cinderiddle, Sleeping Biddle, Florence Nitendiddle. I loved my collection just as much as I envied her collection. Then the time came and I had neices and nephews and my collection dwindled to nothing. But alas! Thanks to eBay, I found them again. The mailman told my husband that I am obsessed. Brent said he already new that but he still didn't want to give me away. (He said it's because no one else would have HIM). I have been buying only the ones I could afford but still, the prices are higher than I will admit to. I just tell myself, they are collector's items. And, I am having fun cleaning them up so Aubrey can play with them.

From left to right: Tracy Trikediddle. She has her very own trike and when you push it, her legs peddle the wheel.
Shirly Strawberry Kola Kiddle: She is missing her soda bottle but one day, I will find it.
Liz Locket: Originally, these came with chains to hang around your neck.
Apple Blossom Kologne Kiddle: This one no longer has her scent but I clearly remember what she used to smell like!
Lorna Locket. Again, like Liz, you can hang her around your neck from a chain.
The car and outfit go to a Skediddle Kiddle named Annabelle Autodiddle. I tried bidding on a few others of these but didn't want to pay the $35 they went for so I bout the car and outfit cheap and now am bidding on a naked doll. That auction ends in a few days.
Then yes, there is Sleeping Biddle. I finally got her. She's naket but I will make her a beautiful gown. I also bought Cinderiddle's dress and some day will find a naked doll to put it on.
So, do you believe me now?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do they have a Bell-Iddle or a Snow Whiddle? hehe
Oh mom! What are we going to do with you!! At least they are cute things and you are allowing them to be played with!
XOXO