Saturday, April 17, 2010

Yard Work

Today is the first day that I've had the chance to do any yard work. Either the weather was crappy (it snowed here last Monday) or I've been swamped with doll clothes orders. But today, I hedged all the shrubs and got the flower beds ready for some new roommates. (Brent mowed the lawn...gotta give credit where credit is due.)

I ordered a bunch of flowers from QVC, all perennials. I am tired of buying new flowers year after year so this year, I invested in perennials. The stores around here never carry a big variety of them and those they do carry are just so... blah. I happen to be a QVC shopaholic, or at least I used to be. When there is nothing on TV and I am settling down for the evening, I will turn on QVC just to see what they are selling. Last weekend they had a bunch of gardening shows and I think I ordered nearly every item they offered in that block.

This is my house: I may have a knack for designing and making doll clothes but I have no talent for designing and landscaping a yard. In front of the bay window, there used to be an "island" with a lamp post and a small piney type tree and some flowers but the lamp post rusted and broke at the bottom and the dwarf pine tree was so ugly that I decided to pull that all out and let the grass grow over it. We also used to have a willow type tree that was on the left front yard but that split right down the middle when we got a heavy spring snowfall. My hope is to have Brent help me dig up some of the grass in front of that big white fence and along side the neighbor's chainlink fence so I can have a nice pretty place filled with flowers and trees. I even have a bird bath that I bought a couple years ago that I want to put there.

This is the north side of my house. These concrete things are called "hold a hills". Normally, the only things that will grow here are petunias but we are planning on takeing these out because they are sagging. We will replace this with another type of retention wall. Brent wants rocks, I want a decorative brick. Notice at the corner of the house? That's my lilac bush. That thing has been growing there for at least 5 years, maybe even 8. You can see that spring still has not sprung here in Sandy UT. There's not a bud on there.

The only thing that has sprung is the crocus but they are already gone. So are most of the mini daffodils. My tulips are almost ready to bloom though. I just have to remember to take pictures of them this year when they do. Here they are still waiting to bloom. Monday, I am going to call around to get some prices on curbing. Brent wants me to wait until he can determine where all he wants it but we've been talking about it for more than 10 years and I am still looking at these ugly landscape railroad ties. I figure that if I call someone to come measure, they can tell me what will look nice and where. I'm tired of waiting on Brent.

4 comments:

Diana said...

This is sort of funny because we've been in our house for 11 years and just started to work on the front yard 2 years ago! We always hang out in the back so we worked on it first. I like the perennial idea Terrie, that's what I've been doing too. It makes things so much easier and would add a bit of color to your front. I buy annuals for the pots so I can move them around if I want to. I had no idea that your spring started so late in Utah. Does your summer last longer? Love Di ♥

All Dolled Up Doll Clothes said...

Hi Di, This year, spring seemed to come much later than normal. We usually start warming up around the third week of March but we still always seem to get some sort of snowfall in April no matter when the warm starts. My tulips seem to be behind everyone else's too. Not sure why. Summer seems to linger thru the end of Sept and sometimes into early Oct with only the evenings getting cool.

Unknown said...

don't let her fool you, years ago they received an AWARD for having the most beautifully landscaped yard! She did had lots and lots of flowers spilling out of the walls and in the front, she is being modest. Her lawn is like walking on a bed of velvet! Terrie you should take a picture of the view from your balcony! She has a beautiful view of the valley. I am so glad you are up to working in the yard, well just to get you out of the house for a bit hehehe. Being chained to your sewing machine and all! My lilac bushes have bloomed and are already on the way out. I can't believe this weather this year, it has been sooo cold! we just went from 89 4 days ago to 55 today! What is up with this weather! No wonder I feel so crappy! What ever you decide Terrie it is going to be BEEEEEUUUUTIFULLLLL!

The Brownings said...

HAHA Jase saw the pic of the hold a hills and says "Mom! Lacey, Luke, Papa, Oma home! See Lacey, Papa!" He's so funny ;)