Monday, January 19, 2009

Projects

My last project was to have the tile in both bathrooms done and to finally finish my bedroom. As you may remember, I've blogged about that. Since then, I've been busy with Christmas and planning my next projects.

So, here they are:
**Paint and redocorate my office

**Paint and update my kitchen. This will include removing the cabinets above my peninsula, removing the wall oven, removing the countertop stove and cabinet, Replace with a free standing range. In place of the wall oven, install pull out shelves and use the doors from the cabinets that have been removed. Restain all the cabinets and stair railing.

**Paint the living room and hall. No money to redecorate in this room yet.

I started both of these projects at the same time and Brent is not too happy with me. I told him they are my projects and I am not asking him for any help (except he will have to paint the ceiling in the kitchen since I have a hard time with that).

I got three coats of RED paint on two of the walls in my office. Brent informed me that I should have hired a professional because I did a lousy job . Upon telling him I didn't have the budget for that, he indicated that HE didn't come cheap but perhaps we could strike a deal. He put the 4th and final coat of red paint on the two walls and then primed the other two on Friday and Saturday. THEN, he announced that he is going to paint the ceiling too. Although it doesn't need it, he said it will look better. Man, this professional is really bilking me for all he can.

Staining the kitchen cabinets is my job. He's not touching them. I started with the railing. I sanded it down and got what little shine was left on them, off and proceded to stain. I put the first coat on, wiped off the the excess (but that was difficult because it was so sticky) and let it dry 4-6 hours as instructed. Well, after 24 hours, it was still so sticky. Even though the instructions said NOT to sand between coats, I did run some steel wool over it to get the sticky-ness off. Then I put another coat of stain on there, waited the 5-15 minutes and wiped off the excess. AGAIN, sticky. So I put on another coat but this time, wiped off immediately. This pretty much took the first two coats off. So, I went to Home Depot to ask someone. He was stumped but suggested that I use the gel stain because this will go over any slick surface like metal and unsanded shiney surfaces. I put the first coat on and wiped off the excess within 3 minutes and still super sticky but I left it alone. This was on Saturday. Sunday it was still sticky but today, Monday, it can be touched without leaving fingerprints and the dog's tail hairs aren't sticking to it anymore when they get too close. And though the color is blotchy, I still like the color. I am going to try one more coat to try to even it out a little then call it quits. I certainly hope the cabinet doors are not this much trouble.

Any experts out there? I am up for advice.

3 comments:

The Brownings said...

Just paint them. Staining seems too hard. How are you going to put an oven in where the range is with those cupboards and the counter there? Sounds like you'll need an electrician to move the power back there around....I happen to know a pretty darn good one! He'll work for food :> hehe

Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH...! sister you have taken on a real big project. Well, if it was sticky then you didn't get all the old varnish off! In order to do the cupboards you will need to sand them with an electric sander, much easier and less hard on the hands and arms! You really need to get ALL the varnish off and it will look really bad at first but....the new stain will really look good too when putting it on. Then sand, stain, sand, varnish, sand, and the final varnish. Glen would be the real professional to ask, but that is what I went through for all the doors and base board in the house now! PHEW! good luck!

Kim Royer said...

Watch the kids and I will paint!!