Thursday, January 15, 2009

The saga of my new table

A week ago last Sunday, while Brent was working, I was out running my usual errands and decided to stop by that new block of stores across from Ikea; Furniture Row. I have been wanting to go in there since they opened, particularly to the kitchen area. My kitchen table chairs were falling apart and the whole set so 80's.

(I had a picture of my kitchen of how it was decorated and the furniture that I wanted to insert here and I've somehow lost that picture. Anyway, this one was taken today but the table is out on my deck waiting to be taken to the D.I. instead of in the kitchen.)

Back to my story about my new kitchen table. Yes, obviously I did buy a new kitchen set. It's a counter height table and 4 chairs and I purchased extra chairs to go at the counter. I also purchased two taller bar stools for the basement bar. The set of table and 4 chairs was available for pick up but the other 4 chairs had to be ordered and would be here by Wed 1/7. Surprisingly, Brent didn't get upset with me when I told him what I'd purchased. I guess he knew I'd do this sooner than later. We decided to wait until Wednesday to pick everything up at once. Wednesday came and I called to make sure everything was there. They told me that the delivery had been delayed but the truck was in the parking lot waiting to be unloaded and to call back on Thursday. I did and then I was told the truck had been delayed by ice storms in Wyoming and had not arrived yet and to call back on Monday. Saturday, I decided I didn't want to wait any longer so we went and picked up the set of table and 4 chairs. We brought that home and had to leave again so it wasn't until Sunday that I opened the box. I noticed there were some pretty large pieces of wood splinters just sitting on the box but since I could't see where they were coming from, I proceeded with putting on the legs. I waited for Brent to come home from work to help me lift it right side up. When we did, more splinters came out. We tried to pull the table apart to pull up the center leaf but it wouldn't move very easily. We did get the leaf up but it was very crooked and would not sit flat. Brent found that the plastic slider where the table pulls apart was out of place and the wood was broken there. We decided to call the store. I wanted them to come and bring me a new one but since I had not paid for home delivery, they would not hear of it. The did agree to let us bring the table back and get a new one so we did. I do love my new set but I am still waiting for the rest of the chairs that I ordered. They have no idea now when they will be in. So much for customer service. It's not likely that I will be shopping on Furniture Row again.

2 comments:

The Brownings said...

Very cute table! I like it a lot! You did a good job!
Very ugly floors....one day mom, you can update those too!

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL sis, did it come with the lazy suzan? I really like my table to and the dark wood. I am so afraid that my kids will scratch it and ruin it that I always cover it up with a table cloth! haha so much for showing off my beautiful table huh! And yeah! what lousy customer service and I am surprised they didn't blame you for the damaged table!