Monday, June 9, 2008

Oh, What do you do in the Summertime?

...When all the world is green? Do you fish in a stream or lazily dream on the banks as the clouds go by? Is that what you do? So do I.

Now that summer is approaching, I tend to get a little nostalgic. I like to think back to when I was a kid in the 1960's and 70's. WAYYYY back then, there was no such thing as year round school and summers lasted 3 months.

Some of my fondest memories were so simple. We rode our bikes a lot and read a lot. I used to love riding my bike to the library that was about a mile away. I'd check out a book then go about another mile to the drug store and buy penny candy. (Yes, you could buy licorice ropes and all sorts of cool candy for a penny, some even 2 for). Then I'd come home and lay under the big shade tree in our front yard and read my book.

We rarely watched TV. When we did, it was Giligan's Island, Flintstones and Brady Bunch. Back then, these shows were only on once a week around 7 pm. Most of the time, my mom would have records playing or the radio on. I remember "Where the Action Is" This was about as good as listening to the radio. For the benefit of those that don't remember this show or were too young, check this out; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_the_Action_Is . In the evenings, I would often go for a walk around the block with my mom and our dog Tippy.

My little red gingham dress. I could twirl in it and the panties had bells on the back.

I remember many times, my brother Hans and his band would set up their equipment in our backyard on the patio and play. All the teenagers from blocks around would come over and listen to them, dancing and having fun. We lived in an area where there were at least 100 kids on our street alone under the age of 18 so our backyard would be packed. Free Friday or Saturday night concerts were great and they were pretty good too!

I remember trips with my dad to Skaggs (drug store) to get triple scoop ice cream cones. I always got chocolate (though today I don't like chocolate ice cream) and Glen would always get strawberry.

I used to love watching home movies. Imagine, inserted here, the movie clip of Rick (about 8 years old) playing in the sprinklers, throwing his towel into the water. At that point, my dad would set the projector on reverse and the towel would magically jump out of the water. I sure wish we could have preserved those movies.

Drive in Movies. Those were fun though the only movie I specifically remember is Bambi.

Oh yeah, I remember my Tante Ma coming for a visit from Canada. She was a terrific seamstress and made me a couple of summer dresses. I remember one was white with light blue polka dots. I loved that dress. I was probably around 5 or 6.

Hide and Seek, Red Rover and Red Light Green Light were some all time favorite games, especially as it got a little dark. And with as many kids on our street, we had lots of fun.

Eddie taking me to the park. I'd ride side saddle on his 10-speed. One day, I asked him to take me and he said, "Only if you pick your nose and eat it" I cried and told my mom. I got to go to the park and NO, didn't have to pick my nose.


What are some of your memories?

4 comments:

The Brownings said...

Awe! I love hearing your stories! I don't think I've heard more than 1 of those-about Hans playing. Look at my cute little mama!!!

Burrell said...

I loved that! Thanks for taking me back with you. I sure wish things were the same. Although, here, we have no TV anyway, and there is a little market down the road that still sells tons of penny candies. What sweet memories you have. And an adorable little girl, you did make!

Mandy said...

I love hearing about when you were growing up. I am really glad that you started this blog. Hey who has those home movies anyway? We should have a night when we sit and watch them.

Valerie said...

Hey! Is that the same bug that you stole from my dad while he was on his mission and painted pink or something? ;)

Those are amazing pictures! I especially love the one of your little red gingham dress.