Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Dad

Johannes Schippers (Sr)
10 Feb 1921
29 Mar 1998
My Dad. One of the greatest influences in my life. A man of courage and conviction. A man dedicated to his family, friends, work and church. He immigrated from the Netherlands to the United States with his wife and 4 small children in 1952 in order to provide them with greater oppotunities. After settling in Pocatello ID then moving to Salt Lake City, UT, his family of 7 children was now complete. 5 boys and 2 girls (tbd in future posts).

Dad, aka John, aka Jan (pronounced Yon), aka Opa is the man I am proud to have called my Father. He is my hero. He was the kind of man that would give you the shirt off his back or his last dime. He has helped me and my siblings numerous times, not only financially but with advice and anything else we may have needed. He was always willing to help and most of the time, we didn't even need to ask. He just knew.

I am and have always been so proud to have carried the name of Schippers. I envy my brothers because they will always be known by this name. (I am old fashioned and believe in taking my husbands name). It is my hope that those coming into the family by birth or marriage and taking on the Schippers name (however you wish to pronounce it), be proud of it and of it's heritage.

Happy Father's Day, Dad! I love you and miss you.

Happy Father's Day to all my brothers (and in laws) and to my Father in Law. I love you all.
Finally, but always first in my mind and heart, Happy Father's Day to my husband. Brent, you are my life. You've given me three wonderful children who have grown to be amazing adults. The unconditional love you have shown to me through these 30 years has been the most important part in all of our lives. I love you forever and always.




1 comment:

Mandy said...

I love that you put that together! I have been missing both Opa and Oma so much lately, I think mostly because my children in this life will never know them except through stories I tell. Thank you for reminding me of my heritage!
lots of love.